Here are some facts: The national average of installation costs $1,465. However, it may also range typically from $1,098 – $2,261. And it is also noted that the most expensive water heater installation service you can get is $4,270.
And because most people don’t understand why water heater installation can cost so much, it is better to understand the factors that businesses consider in deciding the price.
Read on to learn more about the expected costs involved in a basic water heater installation in San Jose, CA.
The Type of Your Unit
The type of water heater unit you have will definitely impact the cost of your water heater installation.
Tank-Type Water Heaters
Tank water heater installation in San Jose, CA, may average between $650 to $2,100. This includes the new heater, materials, and labor.
The size of a tank-style water heater may also influence the installation cost. Usually, some range between 20 to more than 80 gallons of storage with homes using either 40 or 50-gallon sizes. The number of people working on the installation also has an impact on the price.
For example, a 20 to 30-gallon tank may require around one to two people to work on it and may cost around $270 to $900. A 75 or more gallon tank may take three or more people to install and cost $400 to $3000.
Tankless Water Heaters
Tankless water heaters are highly efficient because they provide an unlimited supply of hot water on demand by heating it as it flows through the waterline. The cost may run between $2,500 to $7,500 when installed.
Tankless Water heater size is measured in a flow rating of between two and six gallons per minute. However, the flow rate between four to six gallons per minute is the most recommended for most homes.
Same as tank heaters, the number of people working on the installation can also impact the cost. For example, a two to three gpm tankless water heater may range from $250 to $600 as it will require one to two people to install the unit. A 6+ gpm tankless water heater may range from around $500 to $900 because it needs more than five people to install the unit.
What goes into the labor cost?
Labor can cost as low as $150 or as high as $1,000 or higher depending on the following:
Cost per hour
Labor rates can range between $45 to $150 per hour, depending on work. But if the job will require more electrical work, consider hiring an electrician that can cost between $50 to $100 per hour.
The average hours per water heater type
A tank-type water heater would typically cost around three hours to replace. And as for tankless water heaters, it will require eight to ten hours to get them installed.
The other cost factors
- Permit. You should check this with your plumber because most jurisdictions require a plumbing permit to replace or install a hot water heater.
- Expansion Tank. This is required to prevent pipes from bursting if the tank fails.
- Tank Removal. If you are planning to replace your water heater, then there is a tank removal cost. This removal will add up to the initial installation. This will cost approximately $100 to $500 depending on the contractor’s rate and the size of the tank.
- Relocation of the unit or fuel conversion. Moving the water heater to a new location or changing its fuel type can increase the installation cost. As for this, consult your installer if you are considering something more than an exact replacement or installation.
- Materials. These include the solder and pipe thread compound and other items like venting pipes, connectors, water or gas piping, pipe fittings, and more.
Remember, water heater installation is no DIY project
A water heater isn’t a minor project that anyone can take on. It is needed to be done by a professional plumber with more training and experience to take on the job. Yes, it can be pricey but, the benefits do outweigh the cons.
One thing to remember when thinking about the price, the following factors do influence the cost.
- Type of the unit
- Labor cost
- Expansion tank
- Tank removal
- Relocation and fuel conversion
SPS Plumbing offers a water heater installation in San Jose, CA, South Bay Area, and Central Valley. You may contact us at 408-622-8183 in the South Bay Area or 209-597-9107 in the Central Valley. Request a service now!